Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Ode to Oregon

I just found this - it was written the week before I left my Beloved Oregon Aug 2007:

Ode to Oregon


Ode to Oregon
I have always been fascinated with 'mountains'. I have always wanted to live in the mountains or near them. They challenge me with their majestic beauty. They inspire me to do more to be more. When I see a mountain I want to climb it or ride my bike around it. That is why I chose as a young woman to move to a state that was filled with majestic mountains. In 1976 I moved to Oregon and was filled with wonder at the natural beauty of this state. I was 20 years old and still had a lot to learn about life. Oregon wrapped her arms around me and showed me the way. I have always felt like I belonged here. I am now 51 years old and have raised my children here in Oregon, finished a college degree here, found the man of my dreams here and built a life that was magical.

Life in Oregon was not always easy. Oregon can have gray stormy rain filled skies and sometimes my life here was just that - gray and stormy. Oregon never failed me and the sun always returned to my life. I have always felt lucky to live in Oregon. I have cherished my time here. As my last full week of living in what I would call paradise comes to a close - I raise a toast to her snow capped mountains, rushing rivers, moss laden forests, crystal clear lakes, and a craggy coast line. What a state!! I have ridden my bicycle on every epic ride. I have trained on countless country roads. I have ridden in the wind, rain, hail and summer sun of Oregon. I have experienced Oregon up close and personal on my bike and have been filled with joy. As I prepare to leave this place my heart is filled with love. I take Oregon with me in my heart and in my soul.

1 comment:

Donald Boothby said...

Ah, you've captured me with your lovely description of the land of my youth. Having lived in Seattle now far longer than I ever lived anywhere else, having raised two sons here and owning a home for almost 30 years, STILL every time I cross over the Columbia River and see the sign that says "Welcome To Oregon", my heart races with the feeling of coming home. No matter where I go, Oregon will always be home. I look forward to meeting you and riding with you some when you come back HOME!!!